Thursday, November 05, 2015

Discarded



I opened the curtains at my window and there they were: three pumpkins, different sizes, once carefully chosen to decorate my neighbors' patios. No longer firm, no longer inviting, no longer useful. Today city workers will take them, crush them, and throw them away. 

They have been discarded.


For some reason, I thought about times I have felt discarded, set aside. Sometimes in small ways, sometimes in more significant ways.


That’s not what we want.

We no longer need you.

Who do you think you are? 

Oh, those exact words might not come out of anyone’s mouth; most people I know are good at softening the blow, letting someone down as gently as possible, speaking the truth in love when the truth needs to be said. And that's not a bad thing, but a kind thing. Yet when I feel discarded or rejected, I tend to hear what I feel, don’t you? 

Discarded. Rejected. No longer useful.


 And perhaps, Unknown.  

In Psalm 139, David says:


You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
 You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
 You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
 Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
 You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me. (NIV) 

That is not a picture of a God who turns His back on us, who discards us because we are no longer useful to Him. To Him, we are worthy of being known, noticed, valued and protected and a part of His plans. We have no expiration date. We are not set outside for trash pick-up. We are invited to stay, to belong. We are kept in the game.

And so, when I feel discarded, disregarded, less-than by the world’s standards, I must remind myself to go to the One who does not discard, to not hide, licking my perceived wounds.


You know me, Lord.


Thank You for that.
Thank You for Your hand on me.


Thank You for letting me belong.
Thank You that I am useful to You.
Thank You for lifting me up . . .

Thank You that I am no discarded pumpkin.



Photo credit: http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=134236&picture=pumpkin-still-life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...