Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Secret to Spin and Juggle



For one reason or another, several projects I wanted to do in my freelance editorial business are overlapping. I knew that would happen when I accepted them all. And I know it will be okay. But here I am, on the edge of spinning and juggling too much.

**
Oh, I know how to spin and juggle. I learned it in college, in my career life, and as a mom. You know, spinning plates in the air, juggling balls, trying to keep life going in the direction I want or need. But just because I can do it does not mean I should do it anymore than I have to. Yet I confess it is still hard for me to stop myself from getting in there to spin and juggle with the best of them. I used to practically make S&J a career itself.

Sometimes, no matter what we do, spin and juggle we must. Really, ask anyone. Especially a parent. (I don’t think there is a mom in the world who hasn’t felt like the juggler in this fun video, and I hope they all give it some of the same little bit of sass and pride she does!)  

When we do find ourselves in the spin and juggle cycle, triage is important. Deciding hour by hour, sometimes minute by minute, what we can

·         keep going in our hands,
·         throw temporarily into the air to catch later,
·         let crash to the floor. 

The big problem is when we are unwilling to let anything go. Instead we spin and juggle more and more, faster and faster. Some people practically sprout a third arm to take on even more, perhaps in the form of forgoing sleep.

Maybe you thought you were going to get some fantastically wise, secret advice here about how to deal with too much spinning and juggling. A magic formula? How to afford a maid? No, I just want to tell you I have been there and it is not worth it. It’s great when we can prioritize, simplify, and plan to avoid too much spinning and juggling. But sometimes—and this is easier if you do the triage thing—you just have to let something crash. You can superglue the pieces back together later, or you can sweep them up, throw them away, maybe wondering why you were spinning and juggling that thing in the first place.  

Best of all, you can sigh about the mess, but not cry or scream or shut down. And that is my advice, the only secret I know: keep the cry-and-scream-and-keep-going-worthy spinning and juggling, but let the sigh-worthy drop. I think you'll be glad you did.

**http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=112545&picture=gradient-backdrop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...