Thursday, July 16, 2015

Scraped, Crumbled, Broken, and Boarded



We live off a main street in our smallish town, nearly on the edge of the city, a stone’s throw away from cornfields. When we drive home from downtown, we go past businesses large and small, including our favorite diner. The beautiful little train station where trains no longer stop, much to my despair. One of the town’s two hospitals, the one with the crosses standing tall against the sky. It has changed its name since my first two children were born there.

We travel through neighborhoods that sprang up in another era, with both homes well kept and that have seen better days. Past churches, one of them with a "For Sale" sign in front, its congregation moved on. By a long-time ice cream stand, a community landmark if there ever was one. It proudly holds its place in winter, waiting for spring to come. 

We also pass two buildings, scraped and crumbling, broken and boarded, a green over red brick that somehow calls to me. They are seemingly without purpose, though one has a light on inside, doesn't it? Perhaps there is hope there.

Some days, for whatever reason, I feel as though I am like those buildingsa little scraped, a little crumbled, a little broken, some parts boarded up. Not quite what I was, somehow. Not quite up to my potential. Not quite sure how I got here.

I'm not the only one, right?

But unlike those buildings, we are living, breathing, God-made beings. Though scraped, we are beautiful shades upon original brick. Crumbled or broken, we have purpose still. Whatever is boarded up can be uncovered and revived. A light is always on.

You, Lord, keep my lamp burning. (Ps. 18:28 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...