Monday, September 08, 2014

When Morning Is Too Early: 4 "Sort Of" Tips for Career Survival, Coffee Included



I have a "carpe diem" mug and, truthfully, at six in the morning the words do not make me want to seize the day. They make me want to slap a dead poet. ~Joanne Sherman*

I planned to write quite seriously about those of us who have a career that requires some alertness before 10:00 a.m. But then I realized I couldn't be all that serious about it because what's true is so funny, at least to me.

If you tell me you are truly, absolutely, no doubt about it a morning person, I can respond truthfully only one way: I don't understand your kind and I probably never will. For instance,
Me in the morning. Exactly.
on Sunday one of our pastors mentioned in his message that he and his wife walk together every morning at 5:30. Great, I thought. Now I don't understand them either. I don't actually know, but I bet they don't even drink coffee.

Morning people, I know, are good people, even if they are not exactly simpatico with me. After all, they can be extremely productive, right? As long as they have some coffee, they can perhaps discover lifesaving cures, write entire books, or dust all their furniture before the sun even rises. All those achievements seem equally miraculous to me if accomplished before ten. Other morning people, I am told, practically jump out of bed, drink only a little coffee, shout "Hello, world!" with smiles on their faces, and head off to their day's work with nary a stumble. That's okay too.

If, however, you tell me you are such a morning person that you can do morning without any coffee at all then we probably can't be true friends unless all our interaction takes place later in the day. I'm sorry, anything morning with you is asking too much. You would be chatting away and even with coffee I would still be working my way up to "huh?"

If you are not a morning person either, here are four tips for career survival that work for me. And I am not even kidding very much.
  1. Have a back-up plan if your coffeemaker suddenly goes on the fritz. For me this is called a drug store is two blocks away and maybe no one will notice my pink bathrobe under a coat. Better yet, have an extra coffeemaker tucked away for emergencies.
  2. If possible, find a job that allows you to wake up, make coffee, and be at your desk all in about fifteen minutes. This is called working from home and being willing to shower . . . later. If you must commute, do not take a job where there is not coffee somewhere in the building.
  3.  Find some people to work with who are in a later time zone. An added bonus if you live in the East is that non-morning people in the West won't contact you until at least 1:00 p.m. your time. 
  4. Schedule your blog posts to automatically publish at 7:00 a.m. to look like you are a morning person.  (Tweet)
Serious part: Are you a non-morning person? What do you do to deal with it, especially when it comes to your work? 

*from The Quote Garden

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to comment on my own blog post to say that I love this image. Okay, it's not exactly how I look, but it is very, very close, including the pink bathrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I delight in this post. I love morning, but never without coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it's okay. We can talk once our coffee kicks in. :)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...