Monday, September 01, 2014

Summer Regrets (Confessions of a Bug-Bite-Free, Sun-Less, Blue-Minded Woman)



While I look forward to autumn, my favorite season, I got sad this weekend when I realized that I let too much summer slip away. Again. And in the Midwest where we have WINTER, this is indeed regrettable.

Technically, summer does not end until late September, making some catching up unlikely even if it is 80 degrees outside until then. The true summer window is Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend, and we know it. We have little say in the matter; it's written in the American code. But . . .

Mother Nature does not necessarily make it easy to stay on task, you know. For instance, rain—or at least the threat of it—has been a main feature here this Labor Day weekend, making fun in the sun to make up for missed fun in the sun less of an option. Not that I make many outdoor plans anyway, because . . .

Perhaps it’s because I freelance now and no longer work in a corporate environment (which are for the most part powered by the anticipatory joy of Friday) that I seem to have lost the ability to routinely consider in advance the future called a weekend. Sure, I vacationed some this summer. However . . .

Except for when I am by a lake or ocean (see Blue Mind), I am not a big outdoors person. Sweat and bugs do not thrill me, and I even forgo sitting out on our patio most of the time, opting instead for air conditioning and an indoors bug-less environment (except for those extremely annoying and uninvited fruit flies). This makes choosing to be in heat and in bug-bite danger not exactly at the top of my list anyway. Still . . .

Why didn’t I plan some picnics over the last three months? Why didn’t I go to some festivals or fairs or parades or to the zoo? Did I visit a park even once? Why did I let so much of summer pretty much slip away? What's wrong with me!?

So I am committed to making a change, spending part of this rain-threatened day making plans for summer 2015 in advance. And on my May 2015 calendar I have also placed a reminder: Don’t forget it's summer; you can make plans! Maybe that will work. I hope so. Because today I feel sad about summer 2014. Maybe I have a vitamin D deficiency. Or maybe it’s just regret. But whatever the reason, whose fault is this?

The bug-bite-free, sun-less, blue-minded woman writing this, that’s who.

How was your summer? Do you have regrets or did you ensure the pleasures of the season did not slip away?

2 comments:

  1. The school holidays, as they are called here in the UK, force me to take time off from working. We have one more week (of 6) before the kids go back to school, and I'm craving routine! So probably the opposite from you. I had two weeks in Minnesota and two weeks in Northumberland. Fabulous, but give me a quiet home office with the sun streaming in... :) Glad you're making plans. Why don't you take every Friday off in September, even if the weather stinks? Go get a pedicure; spend a quiet day at a retreat center; just take a movie/book day for yourself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, those are all good ideas! We are also having one grandchild at a time here for a Friday night sleepover starting this weekend--perhaps the beginning of a new tradition that can also inform summers!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...