Thursday, September 25, 2014

I Just Noticed I Am Not at a Writers Conference



In the last few days, quite a few of the authors and others in publishing I follow on social media started posting about their next major writers conferencepretty much as soon as their suitcases came out of their closets, if not sooner. That's nice, I thought. They have something great to look forward to.   

But it wasn’t until they started with the photos from their planes, trains, and automobiles; the photos of the views from their hotel rooms; and the waitstaff-taken photos of their first meals with friends, agents, and editors that I really noticed: 

Hmm. I am not there.

What I mean, of course, is that I realized I sorta kinda—in a way an introverted person sometimes does—wish I was there. It's my own fault, of course, when I miss such opportunities. I could save my money, book a flight and hotel, and haul myself there. I won't let on to anyone there (and they won't read this because they are, you know, busy being there), but, yes, it would be worth mustering all the extroversion I own. I could not only learn more about writing but also meet and greet both friends and former colleagues in publishing and in-house editors and authors I have edited for, but never met in person.

Huh. Did Sheldon and Leonard feel like this when they couldn’t get tickets to Comic-Con, though that is a decidedly different kind of convention?  Well, no. They were in a panic and willing to do just about anything to get there. I am merely a little wistful sitting alone in my home office, having just finished editing a novel by an author who, in a Facebook photo I saw this morning, was clearly happy to be there . . . without me.

Well, chin up! I have work to do and introversion to nurture until . . . I attend the writers conference taking place in a few weeks in my own town. No suitcases or planes or trains will be required, just a ten-minute drive in my car. But I promise, I will post a photo or two to, in my case, prove I can extrovert my way to and through such an event, whereupon I will also notice: I am here!

Readers and writers, have you ever been to a writers conference? What did you like best about it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...